The Executive Director of the United Way of Front Royal-Warren County is a part-time position responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction and mission of the organization.
Applicants that are interested in the position should send their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The United Way of Front Royal-Warren County is a one-county United Way. It provides unrestricted funds to its 7 member agencies as well as impact funds to specific projects relating to basic living needs, abuse & neglect, health & mental health, dependent care and juvenile delinquency & youth.
Position Title: Executive Director
Position Summary: The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors.
Reports to: The Executive Director is responsible to United Way Front Royal-Warren County Board of Directors through the President of the Board.
Time Commitment/Allocation: Part time employment. 50% of time spent on campaign. 30% of time spent on agency activities/mentoring/advising. 20% of time spent on administration.
Salary: Commensurate with skill and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of non-profit experience in a leadership role.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Possess a strong working knowledge of the area non-profit sector and/or how United Ways operate.
- Demonstrated skill in strategic planning, effectively organizing resources and setting and establishing priorities.
- Excellent communication skills including ability to write and speak persuasively and professionally about organization to a variety of audiences.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects/assignments concurrently and be very results-oriented.
- Highly motivated and works well both independently and as an integral part of a team.
- Ability to initiate and build positive relationships with current and prospective donors, agencies, co-workers, service providers, board members, business contacts and the community at large.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization.
- Know, understand and be responsible for advancing the mission and vision of the UWFRWC, assuring all programs and services are focused on the mission.
- Foster effective team work between the Board and the Executive Director and between the Executive Director and staff.
- Responsible for the recruitment, selection and retention of UWFRWC staff as needed.
- Ensure that all staff receives orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided.
- Prepare and discuss annual performance evaluations with all direct reports. Review annual performance evaluations for all staff.
- Supervise the daily financial operations of the organization.
- Ensure adherence to the organization’s budget and monitor fiscal expenditures.
- Oversee the organization’s annual audit process.
- Insure that all Federal and State tax requirements are met.
- Oversees payroll and tax reporting procedures.
Fundraising and Annual Campaign
- Create, maintain and support appropriate training programs, materials and systems for campaign volunteers.
- Develop and enhance positive relationships and communication both written and verbal with existing and potential donors.
- Implement appropriate recognition practices for individual and group donors including acknowledgment of gifts.
- Speak at employee, community, and organizational meetings.
- Plan, organize, implement and evaluate a United Way resource development program.
Board, Agency and Community Relations
- Collaborate with agencies and be a liaison for agencies with the UWFRWC.
- Provide opportunities for agency meetings and professional development training modules and assistance to agencies in preparing materials for fund distribution process, when necessary.
- Foster and enhance positive relationships and communications with existing and potential board members and volunteers.
- Enhance public understanding and support of the United Way through a coordinated, year-round communications program.
- Provide oversight and guidance on all publicity including printed materials, video, press releases, website and other social media.
- Develop and implement a plan for training and orientation of new Board members.
Note: The job requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required, and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this position.